Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Return of Lectures


Last night was the first in-person lecture I have given in 30 months.  The room was packed with close to 300 students, in one of the newly refurbished lecture rooms (pictured above, after the class was over) on campus.  This was for my Foundations in Political Theory course for second year students.  It was really rewarding to see the students face-to-face again and interact with them.  They eagerly asked questions during the lecture.  And for most of them (they are second year students), this is the first time they are back in the classroom since grade 11 high school.

Yesterday I also had my 4th year seminar course on the politics of pandemics and epidemics.  I first taught this seminar last winter, during the Omicron wave.  And like back in January, I started the class by asking the students to share their thoughts and experiences of the past 2.5 years of the pandemic.  It was very interesting to see how their perspective has shifted since January and now.  There are so many important lessons to learn from the past 2.5 years.

Cheers, 

Colin