Thursday, May 12, 2022

Teaching Large Lecture Classes (20 year Anniversary)

 


Teaching large (200+ students) lecture classes has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my 23 year academic career.  If you had told me this back at the start of my career (when I was very a quite and very nervous instructor) I would not have been very skeptical.  It took a good 5-10 years of giving large lectures for me to really find my stride and comfort zone with them.  I am very glad that I stuck with it as I really do enjoy teaching these large lecture courses.

In this post I just wanted to detail what I have taught in terms of large lectures only, to remind me of the interesting places and topics, and the volume of students, I have had the good fortune to teach over the past two decades.

My first large lecture class was an Introduction to the history of political thought at Manchester University, for a class of 320 first year students.  And it was a team taught course, with 3-4 colleagues responsible for a few thinkers each.  I then taught the first year Intro to Politics course for 200 students each year at UW.  And since joining Queen’s I have taught both the fall and winter terms of our mandatory second year course Intro to Political Theory for 250-275 students every year except when on sabbatical (2013 and fall 2018). I think that puts the number at approximately 5000 different students, at those 3 universities.  The number would be much higher if I included the smaller classes I have also taught.  But I was moved to reflect on large lecture teaching since I have not had the opportunity to do that since March 2020 when the campus first closed because of the pandemic.  

2002 Manchester University, History of Political Thought, 1st year course, 325 students

2003 Manchester University, Freedom and Equality, 2nd year course, 200 students

            2003 Waterloo University, Introduction to Politics, 1st year course, 200 students

            2004 Waterloo University, Introduction to Politics, 1st year course, 200 students

            2005 Waterloo University, Introduction to Politics, 1st year course, 200 students

            2007 Waterloo University, Introduction to Politics, 1st year course, 200 students

2009 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (fall)

2010 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (winter)

2010 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (fall)

2011 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (winter)

2011 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (fall)

2012 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (winter)

2012 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (fall)

2013 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 250 students (winter)

2014 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (fall)

2015 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

2016 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (fall)

2016 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

2017 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (fall)

2018 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

2019 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

[virtual] 2020 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (fall)

[virtual] 2020 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

[virtual] 2021 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (fall)

[virtual] 2022 Queen’s University, Introduction to Political Theory, 2nd year course, 275 students (winter)

 

This coming fall term I anticipate teaching my second year course in-person to approximately 275 students.  This year it will only be a one semester course, with the second semester being offered as a third year course starting in 2024.  

So I look forward to experiencing the joy and engagement of giving large lectures again!  I have really missed it and engaging with the students in-person.

 

Cheers,

Colin