Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wrapping up my final week of living in Hawaii


My time as the Fulbright Visiting Research Chair at UH Manoa is quickly coming to an end. I have had a great experience this term enjoying the beauty of this Island and the riches of this campus.

Professionally, having so much time to dedicate to reading and writing has been a unique opportunity. I have tried to make the most of it, writing some new papers related to genetics and ethics, and reading many of the foundational books for my next new project on play and the good life.

Personally, living away from family and friends has been both a challenge and an opportunity for personal growth. I will have many fond memories of my time here in Hawaii. I put together a random list of the top things I will miss most about leaving:

The weather and beauty of this island (Oahu).

New friends I made while here (especially the members of the “Shut up and Write! Honolulu” meetup group).

The comfort of hearing “Aloha!” and “Mahalo” on a daily basis.

The luxury of having so much time to dedicate to reading and writing.

The incredible gym facility on campus, a 5 minute walk from where I was living on campus.

The sound of one of the campus roosters crowing at 5am.

Walking so much (with no car I walked everywhere, an average of 12km a day).

My fav local restaurant which I would frequent at least once a week.

I have been very fortunate to have had this opportunity. And I cannot wait to get back home to family and friends who I have missed dearly!

Cheers,
Colin