Thursday, May 03, 2012

Where the Action Is: On the Site of the "Playful" Life (Part 8: A Return to Play)

For the past 3 years or so my interest and passion for the topic of play (as well as the activity itself) has been growing. Recall the series of blog posts on play- part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7- I have been meaning to add to the series for a while now, but have been bogged down some other commitments that are now winding down. So I plan to return to the topic of play in a serious way over the coming months. This morning I came across this talk, which helped fuel the fire in my heart for the importance of play. In that talk the artist below is featured, singing about the video game Halo. I was so moved by her song that I looked up the full performance, which is below: My interest in play is also constantly fuelled by my 3 children. We all play (amongst other things) video games together. It is an amazing adventure. We interact with people from all over the world, venturing on different exciting quests. Our favourite game at the moment is Roblox, which I may post something about in the future. But another favourite game of my older sons is Minecraft. This trailer video made by a player of the game captures the mystery and excitement of playing the game: More to follow on play in the future.... Cheers, Colin